Proper dental care is something you should always be aware of, especially for children. To make sure that their teeth stay healthy, regular brushing is very important. So how do you get children to brush their teeth regularly? You may need to experiment and get creative with your home dental care. Check out some ideas below to help you get your child brushing their teeth better and more frequently.
- Children love colors and cartoon characters. You may want to start buying colored toothbrushes, or ones that have their favorite characters printed on them.
- Try a light-up toothbrush or a flashing one, which will help motivate your child to want to brush their teeth.
- A flavored toothpaste may help as well, such as bubblegum or fruit flavored. In today’s market, dental care products come in all sorts of fun flavors!
- Let the children mimic what you are doing when you are brushing your own teeth. In fact it may be good to let them climb on a foot stool and face the mirror so they are able to see your reflections.
- For parents of wigglers, funny games and songs can help turn dental care into a fun game! Some toothbrush products even involve music that plays for a certain amount of time, until the mouth is clean and ready to be rinsed. It is important to make sure your child is brushing for the appropriate amount of time in order to keep plaque and bacteria from causing cavities.
Bacteria and buildup of sugars in the mouth can create problems such as tooth decay or gum disease when your child gets older. As a parent, you should model the importance of good dental care throughout your lifetime. Brushing teeth with small children may be time consuming but it will help them become more independent and keep their mouths healthy at the same time.
For more advice on dental care and other dental services offered by The Richardson Dentist, call 972-690-6653 today!